I’m an ego-maniac. I know that because I act like one. All the time. So I entered in Google, and instead of searching your name or hers, I typed my full name. Nothing, but an address in Google Maps. My ego suffers a setback, but it still intrigues me because the address is not mine. A number of a street in Madrid. The city matches. Lagasca Street, no. 36. Even the phone is different (don’t call, please). Now I’m curious. It is rather scary, because where the arrow is pointing I observed a red stain on the asphalt. No, it can’t be blood, but it’s really what it seems. My imagination, I suppose. Anyway. I walk along this street often. My girlfriend works nearby. And my overheated imagination is working overtime. Is it possible that technology has advanced so much that Google Maps can determine in advance where I will be killed?
– No silly -my girlfriend said after explaining her my suspicion. Stop freaking. What happens is at that site there is an antique shop and the owner, coincidences of life, has the same name as you. Your name is not so rare after all.
– That is funny –I answer, not very convinced. Do you know? When going to pick you I will stop at the store to visit that guy.
– And what are you going to tell him?
– That’s. That we have the same name.
– And he will think you are an idiot.
– People don’t care if someone has the same name. Normal people do not have your overdose of childishness.
Anyway I’m calm now, mainly because I decided that today I’ll know that person. I get into my best jeans, best jacket and jump into the subway. I get down in Serrano and walk to Lagasca. 2, 4, 6, …… 34, 36 where I clearly can see inside the store myself -shit!- with many more years. And that I is also looking at me. And he smiles. That’s him, I dreamed with him so many times, I perfectly recognize him. My pulse quickens. I am very nervous now. I turn and look around. Fuck! A hooded man with a knife grabs me from behind and cuts my jugular. The other me inside the store, still smiling. Grimly now. Before dying I see my blood forming a red stain on the asphalt. Exactly in the same place marked on Google Maps. Coincidences of life, my last thought.
My last post – Rafael Fernández Ruiz & Dugutigui